All veterans are encouraged to enroll in the VA Health Care System. Eligibility for VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable discharge. A representative from our eligibility staff, State Department of Veterans Affairs, or staff member at the Veterans Affairs Regional Office will be able to determine eligibility of care.
In order for you to be eligible for enrollment in healthcare, you must have:
- Been discharged from active military service under honorable conditions;
- Served a minimum of two years if discharged after September 7, 1980 (prior to this date there is no limit);
- If a National Guardsman or Reservist, served the entire period for which you were called to active duty other than for training purposes.
To begin the process, please complete an Application for Health Care Benefits. You can submit the form online, or you may print the form and mail it to us at:
Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center
Eligibility Unit (Rm B189)
109 Bee Street
Charleston, SC 29401
You can also bring the form to the Medical Center. The Eligibility Office is located on the first floor, room B189. View the facility map to locate the Eligibility Office.
Whether mailing or bringing your application, please include the following items —
- a copy of both sides of your current insurance card (including Medicare or Medicaid)
- a copy of your DD214, 'Armed Forces Report of Transfer or Discharge'
- (Purple Heart recipients only) a copy of your award letter if 'Purple Heart' is not noted on your DD214
To speak to someone in our eligibility office, please call (843) 789-7215 or 6217.