Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center
Who We Are
The Nutrition and Food Service Department at Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina, is a multi-disciplined service providing meals and nutrition services to Veterans in the Ralph H. Johnson Medical Center, Community Living Center (CLC), home-based primary care (HBPC) service, and affiliated Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC) (Goose Creek, Trident, Myrtle Beach, Savannah, Hinesville, and Beaufort).
The Mission of the Clinical Nutrition Section at Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center is to provide high quality comprehensive nutrition care to Veterans along with their caregivers, family members, and/or significant others. We are an active member of the Veterans' patient and family centered multidisciplinary healthcare team, and we strive to teach and promote good health through nutrition and lifestyle.
We are staffed with Registered Dietitians, Health Tech, and Food Service employees. We provide nutrition related care in a variety of different settings throughout our VA network:
- More than 300 inpatient meals are prepared daily by the food service staff.
- Inpatient and Outpatient nutrition support through the use of Parenteral Nutrition or Enteral Nutrition.
- Inpatient medical nutrition therapy.
- Inpatient and Outpatient diabetes education.
- Subacute and long-term nutiriton care at the Community Living Center.
- Inpatient and Outpatient care of Bariatric Surgery patients.
- Outpatient nutrition through Home Based Primary Care.
- Outpatient nutrition education/counseling for a number of disease states, including, but not limited to congestive heart disease, cancer, obesity, failure to thrive, gastrointestinal disorders, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and renal disease.
- Outpatient MOVE! group classes and individual sessions for weight management.
- Training of dietetic interns from our affiliate hospital, Medical University of South Carolina, who will go on to earn their "Registered Dietitian" (RD) title.
- Weight Management Education to our staff through the Employee MOVE! Program.
Nutrition Clinic Survey COMING SOON! Please check back!
Nutrition Organization Links
- The Academy Of Nutrition & Dietetics*
- The South Carolina Dietetic Association*
- The Obesity Action Coalition*
- The Center for Disease Control*
- VA Nutrition and Food Services
*These websites are not affiliated with the Charleston VA Medical Center
Nutrition Services Links
- Nutrition Home
- Our Clinical Team
- Make An Appointment
- Nutrition Manual Resource
- Managing Your Weight
- Ask A Dietitian
- Success Stories
- Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm